News & Announcements
Press Release: Brookwood ApartmentsPosted: 28-Dec-2012
Moraga-Orinda Fire District
33 Orinda Way
Orinda, CA 94563
Contact: Randall Bradley, Fire Chief, 925-258-4599
Release Date: 12/27/2012
ORINDA- The Moraga Orinda Fire District received a 911 call for a carbon monoxide detector alarm at a condominium on Brookwood Road in Orinda. Upon arrival, firefighters found two individuals waiting outside their residence and experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. The couple was treated and transported to a local hospital for observation. An investigation revealed a faulty wall heater was the source of the carbon monoxide and was also determined to be a significant fire hazard.
Moraga-Orinda Fire District is working with the Brookwood Condominium Homeowners Association and Contra Costa Building Department to advise residents in the condominium complex to have their heaters inspected.
As of July 1, 2011, all California homeowners are required to have functioning carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that displaces oxygen and can be lethal when inhaled. Wood burning stoves, vehicle exhaust and faulty gas appliances are the primary sources for carbon monoxide poisoning.